automake

Re: rhel8 test failure confirmation?

From: Jacob Bachmeyer
Subject: Re: rhel8 test failure confirmation?
Date: Sun, 02 Apr 2023 23:16:53 -0500

Karl Berry wrote:
[...]
   What can we do about this?

As for automake: can we (you :) somehow modify the computation of the
sleep value to determine if autom4te can handle the HiRes testing or not
(i.e., has the patch installed)? And then use the longer sleep in
automake testing if needed.

If you can locate Autom4te::FileUtils, grepping it for "Time::HiRes" will tell you if autom4te supports sub-second timestamps, but then you need more checks to validate that the filesystem actually has sub-second timestamps.

A simple check:

if $PERL -I${autom4te_perllibdir:-/usr/share/autoconf} -I/usr/local/share/autoconf \ -MAutom4te::FileUtils -e 'exit defined $INC{q[Time/HiRes.pm]} ? 0 : 1'; then
   # autom4te uses Time::HiRes
else
   # autom4te does not use Time::HiRes
fi

This method also has the advantage of implicitly also checking that $PERL has Time::HiRes installed by determining if loading Autom4te::FileUtils causes Time::HiRes to be loaded. (In other words, this will give the correct answer on Perl 5.6 if Time::HiRes was installed from CPAN or on later Perls if a distribution packager has unbundled Time::HiRes and the user has not installed its package.)

[...]
It seems to me that using autoconf -f or similar is papering over the
problem, so that the tests are no longer testing the normal behavior.
Which does not sound desirable.

The Automake testsuite is supposed to test Automake, not Autoconf, so working around Autoconf issues is appropriate. In this case, if always using "autoconf -f" allows us to eliminate the sleeps entirely (and does not expand the running time of Autoconf too much), we should do that, at least in my view.

-- Jacob