automake

Re: rhel8 test failure confirmation?

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: rhel8 test failure confirmation?
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2023 16:10:20 -0600

Hi Jacob,

    The guess was the two most probable locations:  /usr/share/autoconf and
    /usr/local/share/autoconf.

Wouldn't have worked on my own system :).

    Challenge accepted.

Thanks!

    if $PERL -I${autom4te_perllibdir:-$(sed -n \
                  '/autom4te_perllibdir/{s/^.*|| //;s/;$//;s/^.//;s/.$//;p;q}' \
                <$(command -v autom4te))} -MAutom4te::FileUtils \
             -e 'exit defined $INC{q[Time/HiRes.pm]} ? 0 : 1'; then
       # autom4te uses Time::HiRes

unfortunately we are highly restricted in what we can use in basic
automake/conf shell code (as opposed to in the tests).  Neither the
"command" command nor $(...) syntax can be used.

For the former, I think there's an autoconf/make macro to look up a
program name along PATH? For the latter, good old `...` suffices. (Not
sure there can be newlines in `...` though, even backslashed.)

Would you be up for tweaking the check to use such
least-common-denominator shell stuff?

Ordinarily Perl could not be used either, but since Automake is written
in Perl, I don't see a problem with doing so here. (If the system
doesn't have Perl, Automake won't get far.) Not sure if $PERL is already
defined by the time at which this would be run, but it should be
possible to arrange with an ac prerequisite if needed.

Thanks,
Karl