[avrdude-dev] Re: [RFC] Enable warnings and make them errors.

From: Brian Dean
Subject: [avrdude-dev] Re: [RFC] Enable warnings and make them errors.
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2003 22:32:15 -0400

On Thu, Sep 04, 2003 at 07:25:39PM -0700, Theodore A. Roth wrote:

> This patch causes avrdude to be compiled with "-Wall -Werror" if gcc is
> being used.
>
> Eric asked for this.
>
> I'd commit it as obvious, but I vaguely remember that there are some
> warnings that pop up when compiling the lex/yacc files generated by byacc.
> That would break the build on FreeBSD I think.
>
> Just tested with byacc (instead of bison) on my RH-9 box, and compiles
> without warnings. For what that's worth...

What about -Wall, but not -Werror?  I like -Wall, but -Werror seems a
little harsh to me.  FWIW, the only warning I get with I compile with
-Wall is:

        term.c: In function `terminal_get_input':
        term.c:757: warning: passing arg 1 of `readline' discards qualifiers
from pointer target type

I have no problem with fixing the warning, but I still think -Werror
is a little harsh.  Warnings are not errors, after all.

-Brian
--
Brian Dean
address@hidden