[avrdude-dev] Re: [RFC] Enable warnings and make them errors.

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: [avrdude-dev] Re: [RFC] Enable warnings and make them errors.
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2003 10:20:21 +0200

As Theodore A. Roth wrote:

> :)My EUR 0.02: at least the files for releases must not use -Werror.
>
> Why "must not"?

Because it will IMHO become a support nightmare.  Remember that
missing `const' in the FreeBSD prototype for readline()?  Things like
that can easily happen even between minor different versions of some
OS.

Btw., -Wall doesn't enable "all" warnings anyway.  Here's the list of
warnings FreeBSD is currently using (when compiling the kernel):

.if !defined(NO_WARNS)
. if defined(WARNS)
.  if ${WARNS} > 0
CFLAGS          +=      -Wsystem-headers
.   if !defined(NO_WERROR)
CFLAGS          +=      -Werror
.   endif
.  endif
.  if ${WARNS} > 1
CFLAGS          +=      -Wall -Wno-format-y2k
.  endif
.  if ${WARNS} > 2
CFLAGS          +=      -W -Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing-prototypes
-Wpointer-arith
.  endif
.  if ${WARNS} > 3
CFLAGS          +=      -Wreturn-type -Wcast-qual -Wwrite-strings -Wswitch
-Wshadow -Wcast-align
.  endif
# BDECFLAGS
.  if ${WARNS} > 5
CFLAGS          +=      -Wbad-function-cast -Wchar-subscripts -Winline
-Wnested-externs -Wredundant-decls
.  endif
.  if ${WARNS} > 1 && ${WARNS} < 5
# XXX Delete -Wuninitialized by default for now -- the compiler doesn't
# XXX always get it right.
CFLAGS          +=      -Wno-uninitialized
.  endif
. endif

. if defined(FORMAT_AUDIT)
WFORMAT         =       1
. endif
. if defined(WFORMAT)
.  if ${WFORMAT} > 0
#CFLAGS         +=      -Wformat-nonliteral -Wformat-security
-Wno-format-extra-args
CFLAGS          +=      -Wformat=2 -Wno-format-extra-args
.   if !defined(NO_WERROR)
CFLAGS          +=      -Werror
.   endif
.  endif
. endif
.endif

(Regarding the -Werror here, remember that this is taken from a
development branch of the sources, and it is only applied to the
kernel tree that is completely self-contained, and fully maintained by
FreeBSD itself.)

> .... Besides, most people are probably going to use Eric's WinAVR,
> the ports, or the RPMs anyways. And those that do compile from
> source, in most cases, will be able to either fix it or turn off the
> -Werror.

FreeBSD ports /do/ compile from source.  Sure, there are also binary
packages, but usually only for the most recent system version.  Since
the FreeBSD ports collection makes it seemingly easy for
non-developers to compile their own version, people with older
releases are likely to compile it theirselves.  (OK, the port could turn
off -Werror, but i agree with Brian here, after all, that's warnings.)