Re: [avrdude-dev] compilation error in Ubuntu Jaunty

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] compilation error in Ubuntu Jaunty
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2009 20:59:59 +0200

As Renato Budinich wrote:

> I'm getting this error from make (avrdude 5.8)

> config_gram.y: In function ???parse_cmdbits???:
> config_gram.y:1373: warning: ???brkt??? may be used uninitialized in this
> function
> mv
> -f .deps/libavrdude_a-config_gram.Tpo .deps/libavrdude_a-config_gram.Po
> /bin/bash ./ylwrap lexer.l .c lexer.c -- :
> make[2]: *** [lexer.c] Error 1

I'm sorry, your mailer wrapped all the long lines which makes it close
to impossible to read, and there doesn't seem to be the slightest hint
about why the ylwrap command might have failed.

The warning shouldn't cause a compiler error because there's no
-Werror in effect.  Besides, the compiler is wrong in its dataflow
analysis, it is algorithmically clear that brkt is never going to be
used before being assigned to.  If you want to try whether this
warning is really the source of your trouble, you can edit the file
config_gram.y, and add an initialization in line 1373:

  char * s, *brkt = 0;
                 ^^^^

The ylwrap command appears to be generated by autoconf.  Perhaps you
can try re-running it with -x in effect, either by typing the command

/bin/bash -x ./ylwrap lexer.l .c lexer.c --

or by editing the file, and adding a line saying

set -x

close to the top of the file, and then rerun the `make'.  That should
make the script tell which shell commands it is executing, hopefully
giving us more hints about what might have failed inside.

> Btw, do I need
> any particular configure options for using avrdude for arduino
> duemilanove's ATMEGA328?

ATmega328P has been added in AVRDUDE version 5.6 (which you could read
in the file named NEWS in your extracted source tree).