Re: [avrdude-dev] compilation error in Ubuntu Jaunty

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] compilation error in Ubuntu Jaunty
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2009 08:48:36 +0200

As Renato Budinich wrote:

Now I see it...

> [...]
                                                    ^^^

> + '' /home/renato/src/avrdude-5.8/lexer.l
> ./ylwrap: line 110: : command not found

It's got no command to run.

Here's how it looks like in my setup:

/usr/local/bin/bash ./ylwrap lexer.l lex.yy.c lexer.c -- flex
                                                         ^^^^

My guess is that you simply don't have flex installed.  configure
detects this, but does not flag it as an error.  (Previously, the
error simply looked different, and was thus a little easier to spot.)
There's an open bug report for this, but unfortunately, that's not as
easy to resolve as it appears in the first place.  Either a lot of
autoconf's functionality has to be duplicated, or (which I'd prefer)
autoconf needs to be modified to provide an option where the configure
script could bail out if no lex (or yacc, for that matter) has been
found at all.  Right now, they only make a decision whether to use
either flex or lex (or bison/byacc/yacc in the other case).

Bottom line, install flex, and you should be fine.