Re: [avrdude-dev] compilation error in Ubuntu Jaunty

From: Dave N6NZ
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] compilation error in Ubuntu Jaunty
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2009 09:52:34 -0700

Renato Budinich wrote:
Bottom line, install flex, and you should be fine.

yep, actually I had just installed it for another compilation, and
thought i would just try avrdude again, and it went ok :)

thank you very much
Renato

Sorry to arrive at this thread so late, I see Joerg has already identified your problem. I was going to suggest looking for missing development tools/libs -- Ubuntu is notorious for leaving out anything that might be of interest to a developer. The stock install can't even compile a K&R 'hello world'. *sheesh*

In my experience, Ubuntu not only leaves out development packages, you can't rely on the package dependencies to be right for development tools either. So the entire point of my late post is to say: "If Ubuntu, first look for missing dev tools and libs." Just remembering that rule goes a long way to making Ubuntu usable.

-dave

P.S. The only reason I know this is that I installed the Edubuntu variant on my daughter's machine. Edubuntu has a nice selection of packages for kids. IMHO development-oriented folks are better served by a Linux that has up-to-date packages and includes development tools by default.