[avrdude-dev] Problems with Avrdude error usb_bulk_read

From: Ed
Subject: [avrdude-dev] Problems with Avrdude error usb_bulk_read
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2011 22:19:50 -0800

Hello:
I am trying to program an ATmega1280 with a JTAGICEmkII with this command line:
avrdude -v -v -p m1280 -P usb -c jtag2 -U
flash:w:/Users/freddie/Desktop/RifeCode1280/main.c -u

Here is the output from Avrdude:
avrdude: Version 5.11.1, compiled on Dec 12 2011 at 18:34:15
         Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/
         Copyright (c) 2007-2009 Joerg Wunsch

         System wide configuration file is "/usr/local/avr/etc/avrdude.conf"
         User configuration file is "/Users/freddie/.avrduderc"
         User configuration file does not exist or is not a regular file,
skipping

         Using Port                    : usb
         Using Programmer              : jtag2
avrdude: jtagmkII_open()
avrdude: usbdev_open(): Found JTAGICE mkII, serno: 0700000000BF
avrdude: usbdev_open(): using read endpoint 0x82
avrdude: jtagmkII_getsync(): Sending sign-on command: avrdude: usb_fill_buf():
usb_bulk_read() error usb_bulk_read: An error occured during read (see messages
above)
avrdude: jtagmkII_recv(): Timeout receiving packet
avrdude: jtagmkII_getsync(): sign-on command: status -1
avrdude: jtagmkII_getsync(): Sending sign-on command: avrdude: usb_fill_buf():
usb_bulk_read() error usb_bulk_read: An error occured during read (see messages
above)
avrdude: jtagmkII_recv(): Timeout receiving packet
avrdude: jtagmkII_getsync(): sign-on command: status -1

This continues forever or until I turn off the JTAGICE mkII.

I know that the JTAGICE mkII works, because I used AVR Studio 5 to program the
ATmega1280 and it works just fine.
The system is Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Attached to this email is the output from USB Prober which is one of the
Developer Utilities for dealing with USB.

TIA
Ed