[avrdude-dev] [bug #43626] Inconsistent timeouts in stk500v2

From: Matthijs Kooijman
Subject: [avrdude-dev] [bug #43626] Inconsistent timeouts in stk500v2
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2014 16:42:52 +0000

                 Privacy: Public
             Assigned to: None
         Originator Name: Matthijs Kooijman
        Originator Email:
             Open/Closed: Open
         Discussion Lock: Any

Details:

While investigating a problem, I noticed the timeouts for stk500v2_recv are a
bit inconsistent. In particular, ser_posix defines:

    long serial_recv_timeout = 5000; /* ms */

While stk500v2.c defines:

    #define SERIAL_TIMEOUT 2

In practice, I think this means that when no data is being received,
serial_recv blocks for 5 seconds. However, when a byte (that is not the final
byte in the packet) _is_ received, > 2 seconds after stk500v2_recv was called,
it returns a timeout immediately.

Effectively this means that there's 3 seconds spent waiting for data this
won't be processed anyway (unless it's the last byte).

Additionally, it seems that the 5 second timeout coincides with the timeout
specified by AVR068 for "data" packets and it seems useful to let avrdude
timeout (and thus retry) before the stk500 times out.

> The total timeout period is from a command is sent to the answer must be
> completely received. The total timeout period is 200 ms for the
> CMD_SIGN_ON command, 5 seconds for the CMD_READ/PROGRAM_FLASH/EEPROM
> commands, and 1 second for all other commands.

  <http://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?43626>

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.nongnu.org/