Re: using multiple usbasp connected to PC in the same time

From: Klaus Rudolph
Subject: Re: using multiple usbasp connected to PC in the same time
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2020 15:51:56 +0200

Thanks!

I have no idea how avrdude internally is searching the device, but it
looks like that it scans over all usb busses until it finds a device of
given type.

If we are able to restrict the found device type to a specific hardware
address like: pci-0000:00:14.0-usb-0:1.6:1.0 like we can do in udev
rules, we can address each one individual.

Maybe that is an idea for an improvement to have than a customized
avrdude.conf or avrduderc file which contains something like

programmer
  id    = "usbasp1";    << see 1 here
  desc  = "USBasp, http://www.fischl.de/usbasp/";;
  type  = "usbasp";
  connection_type = usb;
  usbvid     = 0x16C0; # VOTI
  usbpid     = 0x05DC; # Obdev's free shared PID
  usbvendor  = "www.fischl.de";
  usbproduct = "USBasp";
  usbpath    = "pci-0000:00:14.0-usb-0:1.6:1.0"

No idea if the syntax for the path is a good idea, but that is what I
use for serial adapters which are also all have same id/serial combination.

An additional "list" command for avrdude will be very helpful here to
directly find all connected devices.

Something like

avrdude --listall -cusbasp

returns all found devices including hardware addr which makes it easy to
configure the customized config file.

Klaus