Re: using multiple usbasp connected to PC in the same time

From: Klaus
Subject: Re: using multiple usbasp connected to PC in the same time
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2020 17:14:27 +0200

Am 14.10.20 um 16:05 schrieb Joerg Wunsch:
As Klaus Rudolph wrote:

I have no idea how avrdude internally is searching the device, but it
looks like that it scans over all usb busses until it finds a device of
given type.

This is the way USB works, in general.

If we are able to restrict the found device type to a specific hardware
address like: pci-0000:00:14.0-usb-0:1.6:1.0 like we can do in udev
rules, we can address each one individual.

libusb abstracts the underlying OS. libusb_device is just an opaque
pointer to an implementation-defined struct; any details about how
that OS handles the hardware access is hidden, and cannot be used by
an application on top of libusb.

Ah, yes, you are right.

What about simply counting found devices and add an optional device
count parameter to avrdude so that a user simply can select "the third
found device of that type"?

Only a suggestion and not an expectation :-)

Thanks
 Klaus