axiom-legal

Re: [Axiom-legal] Licensing Aldor (was: GPL vs. modified BSD)

From: Mike Dewar
Subject: Re: [Axiom-legal] Licensing Aldor (was: GPL vs. modified BSD)
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 16:33:56 +0000

Bill,

On Mon, Nov 20, 2006 at 09:00:50AM -0500, Bill Page wrote:
> Do you think I should resurrect my plan to just unilaterally
> release Aldor as open source and see what happens?
Please don't be stupid.  You can't release Aldor as open source because
you don't have any right to do so.  Any illegal distribution of Aldor
sources will, however, almost certainly scupper any chance of of it
ever being released under an open-source licence.

I understand your frustration at the slow progress on this, but that
doesn't give you the right to take something that isn't rightfully
yours.  The current situation is that NAG has agreed in principle to a
proposal from Stephen Watt to release Aldor under a new licence.  We are
now waiting for him to provide details of what that licence should be.

Mike.

    Mike Dewar                                 email: address@hidden
    Chief Technical Officer                    phone: (+44) 1865 518055
    NAG Ltd                                    fax:   (+44) 1865 310139
    Wilkinson House, Jordan Hill Rd, Oxford, OX2 8DR