axiom-legal

RE: [Axiom-legal] Licensing Aldor (was: GPL vs. modified BSD)

From: Bill Page
Subject: RE: [Axiom-legal] Licensing Aldor (was: GPL vs. modified BSD)
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 14:02:16 -0500

Mike,

On November 20, 2006 12:57 PM you wrote:
> You are asking NAG and the other owners of Aldor to do you a
> favour, which will take time and effort.  Do you really expect
> us to release Aldor as open source if you try and force our hand
> with illegal actions?

No, of course I really don't have any way of forcing anyone's "hand"
even if I were to make the rash move to distribute Aldor source code.
The legitimit owners of Aldor could certainly assert their rights no
matter what action I take. The best I can hope to do is to make it
clear how important I think this issue is.

Nor do I think of this as asking for a personal favor since I
probably have less intellectual investment and certainly less
financial investment in Axiom than many other people. I do however
expect that any rational person with the stated motivations would
have resolved these licensing issues long ago. Resolution is in
everyone's interest and open source licensing is clearly the best
option. By now this has been proven in many different situations.
Continued delay is harmful (maybe even fatal) to both Aldor and
Axiom.

> > > I understand your frustration at the slow progress on this,
> >
> > Is "slow progress" the same thing as "no progress"? ;)
>
> No.  There has been progress as I explained.

That's very good news!

> > Really, how difficult is that for someone who really cares about
> > the future of Aldor and Axiom to release Aldor as open source?
> > I can not help but think that the delays are either deliberate or
> > indicate a lack of interest on the part of the current owners.
> > But I guess I am just being stupid...
>
> Why do you say that?  If we weren't interested in an open-source
> Aldor then we'd just say so.  Then I wouldn't have to respond to
> emails on the subject every few months :-)

I do greatly appreciate your taking the time to reply.

Thank you.

Sincerely,
Bill Page.