bbdb-user

Re: problem after upgrading

From: Brent Busby
Subject: Re: problem after upgrading
Date: Tue, 06 Aug 2019 18:59:42 -0500

"Roland Winkler" <address@hidden> writes:

> On Mon Aug 5 2019 Brent Busby wrote:
>> I'm on GNU Emacs 26.2, and I recently did a melpa package update which
>> upgraded my BBDB from 20151114.1541 to 20190609.316.
>>
>> Now whenever I open an email in Gnus, it loads the message but I get the
>> error: "invalid function: bbdb-pushnew" in the minibuffer.
>
> The macro bbdb-pushnew was introduced in bbdb.el on 2016-07-20,
> that is, more recently than your old version of BBDB.
>
> Could it be that you are somehow using an old version of the file
> bbdb.el(c) which is than incompatible with other parts of BBDB?
> Are you using a compiled BBDB? - Make sure that you have loaded the
> current bbdb.el(c) and your problem should go away.

I was sure that was probably it, so because I had so many old packages
from 2015 in ~/.emacs.d/elpa/, I uninstalled everything as a separate
operation before proceeding, confirmed that my packages subdirectory was
clear, then installed the packages I mainly wanted fresh from the package
menu.

It still gives me the "invalid function: bbdb-pushnew" error, so I'm out
of ideas.  I've reverted to my old working backup of ~/.emacs.d/, so
everything works again, but it's odd that I can't upgrade.