bbdb-user

Re: problem after upgrading

From: N. Jackson
Subject: Re: problem after upgrading
Date: Tue, 06 Aug 2019 23:19:18 -0400

At 18:59 -0500 on Tuesday 2019-08-06, Brent Busby wrote:

> "Roland Winkler" <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> On Mon Aug 5 2019 Brent Busby wrote:
>>> I'm on GNU Emacs 26.2, and I recently did a melpa package update
>>> which upgraded my BBDB from 20151114.1541 to 20190609.316.
>>>
>>> Now whenever I open an email in Gnus, it loads the message but I
>>> get the error: "invalid function: bbdb-pushnew" in the
>>> minibuffer.
>>
>> The macro bbdb-pushnew was introduced in bbdb.el on 2016-07-20,
>> that is, more recently than your old version of BBDB.
>>
>> Could it be that you are somehow using an old version of the file
>> bbdb.el(c) which is than incompatible with other parts of BBDB?
>> Are you using a compiled BBDB? - Make sure that you have loaded
>> the current bbdb.el(c) and your problem should go away.
>
> I was sure that was probably it, so because I had so many old
> packages from 2015 in ~/.emacs.d/elpa/, I uninstalled everything
> as a separate operation before proceeding, confirmed that my
> packages subdirectory was clear, then installed the packages I
> mainly wanted fresh from the package menu.
>
> It still gives me the "invalid function: bbdb-pushnew" error, so
> I'm out of ideas.  I've reverted to my old working backup of
> ~/.emacs.d/, so everything works again, but it's odd that I can't
> upgrade.

A few ideas:

Do you have an older version of BBDB installed system-wide through
your GNU/Linux package manager?

Also, what does `M-x bbdb-version RET' say?

How about `M-x list-load-path-shadows RET'?

Does `C-h f bbdb-pushnew RET' give you a help buffer> (I'm guessing
that it will say "no match".) If it does give you a help buffer,
follow the link there to bbdb.el and find out which directory that
bbdb.el is in.