bbdb-user

Re: Add integration to gnus-search library, if present

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: Add integration to gnus-search library, if present
Date: Fri, 06 Nov 2020 08:01:48 -0800

"Roland Winkler" <winkler@gnu.org> writes:

> On Wed Nov 4 2020 Eric Abrahamsen wrote:
>> The attached patch checks to see if the library is present, and adds
>> bbdb-hashtable to the contact tables if so. It might be desirable to
>> create a specific completion table just for this, but I expect just
>> using bbdb-hashtable directly will be fine.
>
> The keys in bbdb-hashtable are not only email addresses, see
> bbdb-completion-list.  So I expect it becomes confusing to use it
> for completing email addresses without further filtering of these
> keys.

I can imagine users wanting to search all those value types -- users
certainly might want to search contact names -- perhaps with the
exception of lf-name. If it's a simple matter of filtering out unhelpful
strings, that filtering should be done in gnus-search.el, as part of the
completion-at-point return process. If we wanted to build some extra
strings (for instance, searching on email address domain names only)
then that extra work could be done in BBDB.

WDYT?

Eric