bbdb-user

Re: Add integration to gnus-search library, if present

From: Roland Winkler
Subject: Re: Add integration to gnus-search library, if present
Date: Fri, 6 Nov 2020 10:44:07 -0600

On Fri Nov 6 2020 Eric Abrahamsen wrote:
> I can imagine users wanting to search all those value types -- users
> certainly might want to search contact names -- perhaps with the
> exception of lf-name. If it's a simple matter of filtering out unhelpful
> strings, that filtering should be done in gnus-search.el, as part of the
> completion-at-point return process. If we wanted to build some extra
> strings (for instance, searching on email address domain names only)
> then that extra work could be done in BBDB.

I have not yet used this feature of gnus you want to support.
I guess the question is in what context this feature is supposed
to be used.

I can imagine that it could make more sense if bbdb supported
completion-at-point at a higher level than just exporting
bbdb-hashtable and using this in a context that knows nothing about
bbdb beyond bbdb-hashtable.  But again, I do not know much about the
completion-at-point machinery.  I hope it may allow such a
higher-level support.  I can imagine that this will be useful also
beyond gnus.