bbdb-user

Re: [BBDB] ChangeLog 2022-03-26 (increase version number, snarf vCards)

From: Roland Winkler
Subject: Re: [BBDB] ChangeLog 2022-03-26 (increase version number, snarf vCards)
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2022 14:31:33 -0500

(I hope you do not mind I reply to the BBDB mailing list so that
possibly others can comment.)

> Looks like something in the latest changes broke BBDB and gnus for me.

This is likely a commit that was supposed to fix bbdb-message-header

on savannah: commit d1f58644c0123fe24962238e37d215558f00a2b0
on GNU elpa: commit f8cfe8260bcae615612ada9c2cf6acdd67f01917

> Trying to view any message now results in an error.

First, I thought your problem might have been related to the fact you
are using GNU Emacs 26.3, which is not the latest anymore.  But I am
replying to your message with GNU Emacs 25.3, when everything behaves
for me the way it should (after compiling BBDB with emacs 25.3).

(BBDB is supposed to work with emacs 24 or newer.  However I cannot
check emacs 24 anymore.  Emacs 25.3 is the oldest version of emacs I
have available.  But I am not aware of any part of the latest BBDB that
wouldn't work with Emacs 25.3 anymore.)

> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (invalid-function gnus-get-info)
>   gnus-get-info("INBOX")

That's a weird message if you are using Gnus because gnus-get-info is a
macro in gnus.el.

>   command-execute(gnus-summary-scroll-up)

You entered the debugger while executing the Gnus command
gnus-summary-scroll-up.  That's defined in gnus-sum.el and it requires
gnus.el.  So I do not see how gnus-get-info could remain undefined under
these circumstances.

> For what it's worth, "gnus.elc" is definitely in "load-path" and I've
> had no other errors.

This should not include individual files like gnus.elc, but it should be
a list of directories like ".../lisp/gnus"

What do you get when you execute

  C-h f gnus-get-info

You should see

  gnus-get-info is a Lisp macro in ‘gnus.el’.

> I was running BBDB 3.2 (last commit Jan 7). Updated this morning via "git
> pull". Reverting back resolved the issue.

Are you using the BBDB repository on savannah or GNU Elpa?
(This should not make any difference though.)

Is anybody reading this who is encountering similar problems with the
latest commits?