bbdb-user

Re: [BBDB] ChangeLog 2022-03-26 (increase version number, snarf vCards)

From: Jeff Clough
Subject: Re: [BBDB] ChangeLog 2022-03-26 (increase version number, snarf vCards)
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2022 17:20:41 -0400

Roland Winkler <winkler@gnu.org> writes:

> (I hope you do not mind I reply to the BBDB mailing list so that
> possibly others can comment.)

Oh, this is perfectly fine and I apologize. It was early and I just hit reply
instead of sending to the list.

> First, I thought your problem might have been related to the fact you
> are using GNU Emacs 26.3, which is not the latest anymore.  But I am
> replying to your message with GNU Emacs 25.3, when everything behaves
> for me the way it should (after compiling BBDB with emacs 25.3).

I installed GNU Emacs as a package via apt. This is the most recent
version available under the standard repos for Ubuntu 20.04.

> You entered the debugger while executing the Gnus command
> gnus-summary-scroll-up.  That's defined in gnus-sum.el and it requires
> gnus.el.  So I do not see how gnus-get-info could remain undefined under
> these circumstances.

I was in the summary buffer of "INBOX" with point on your announcement
message and hit RET. According to C-h k RET in that buffer, this does
indeed call that command.

>> For what it's worth, "gnus.elc" is definitely in "load-path" and I've
>> had no other errors.
>
> This should not include individual files like gnus.elc, but it should be
> a list of directories like ".../lisp/gnus"

I'm sorry I didn't word this better. I meant that the directory
containing "gnus.elc" was in load-path. Specifically
"/usr/share/emacs/26.3/lisp/gnus".

> What do you get when you execute
>
>   C-h f gnus-get-info
>
> You should see
>
>   gnus-get-info is a Lisp macro in ‘gnus.el’.

I get this...

gnus-get-info is a Lisp macro in ‘gnus.el’.

(gnus-get-info GROUP)

Not documented.

>> I was running BBDB 3.2 (last commit Jan 7). Updated this morning via "git
>> pull". Reverting back resolved the issue.
>
> Are you using the BBDB repository on savannah or GNU Elpa?
> (This should not make any difference though.)

$ git remote -v
origin  git://git.savannah.nongnu.org/bbdb.git (fetch)
origin  git://git.savannah.nongnu.org/bbdb.git (push)

Please let me know if there is any other information I could provide
which would be helpful.

Jeff