bbdb-user

Re: [BBDB] ChangeLog 2022-03-26 (increase version number, snarf vCards)

From: Roland Winkler
Subject: Re: [BBDB] ChangeLog 2022-03-26 (increase version number, snarf vCards)
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2022 18:54:24 -0500

On Sun, Mar 27 2022, Jeff Clough wrote:
> Looks like something in the latest changes broke BBDB and gnus for
> me. Trying to view any message now results in an error. My Emacs
> debugging skills are very rusty, bordering on non-existent, but here's a
> stack trace...
>
> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (invalid-function gnus-get-info)

I have installed a patch (so far only on savannah, but not on GNU
Elpa).  Can you please try it out?

Actually, the patch has two pieces:

- an embarassing piece fixing an old bug not directly related to your
  problem

- a second piece that should fix your problem.  This piece is a little
  annoying:

  BBDB now uses `gnus-info-params' that was a macro up to Emacs 26;
  it was turned into a function starting with Emacs 27.  Then, when compiling
  BBDB, it makes a difference whether the compiler expands the macro in
  old versions of emacs, or whether it calls the function that exists in
  newer versions of emacs.  So compiled code for BBDB works only for the
  older or newer version of Emacs for which it got compiled.

  ;; If BBDB was compiled with an old version of Emacs up to Emacs 26,
  ;; this will fail if the code is loaded into a newer version of Emacs.