Re: [linuxiran] My growing interest in Apple

From: Arash Bijanzadeh
Subject: Re: [linuxiran] My growing interest in Apple
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2003 08:27:51 +0430

On Monday 21 April 2003 17:48, Aryan Ameri wrote:
> On Monday 21 April 2003 13:31, Arash Bijanzadeh wrote:
> > On Monday 21 April 2003 13:43, Aryan Ameri wrote:
> > > On Monday 21 April 2003 11:08, Arash Bijanzadeh wrote:
>
> here can we get this Apple's gcc?
>
> > > It only runs on Mac OS X. Ofcourse as I said, source is available,
> > > but one should port it to Linux, to be able to run it on Linux.
> > > Something which hasn't been done yet.
> >
> > Saying gcc means that it is the same of GNU patched by Apple, so it
> > should compile on Linux too, isn't it?!
>
> Well, no Arash.
>
> Though Apple's GCC is a Patched GNU GCC, it has some functiones in it,
> which call libraries and uses frameworks that are Mac specific, and are
> not available in GNU/Linux. Hence it won't compile on anything other
> than Apple Mac OS X and Apple Darwin (The open Source foundation for
> Mac OS X).
>
> Apple actually works like this: they get the code, enhance it using
> their own frameworks, and add their own libraries to it, and then
> release it. The result is a Mac specific product which won't compile on
> a system, without Macintosh's libraries (And yes, their libraries are
> also open source).
>
> That's the same with khtml, for example you can get Apple's source from
> http://developer.apple.com/darwin/projects/webcore/index.html
> Though this code is based on khtml, it won't compile on anything other
> than Mac OSX. Simply because it need Mac's libraries.
>
> This isn't Mac specific ofcourse, that's the story with almost all
> traditinal Unixes. Although, Open/Free/Net BSD, HP-UX, AIX, Irix,
> Solaris, True 64 Unix, SCO Unix, Unixware, Xeinix, GNU/Linux, Mac OS X
> and ... are all Unix, but they all have incompatible libraries, and
> they all have their own specific toolkits. Which means when you develop
> a program for one, there is no gurantee that it will run on any other
> one.
>
> Welcome to the incompatible and crazy world of Unix !!!
>
> Cheers
Khtml is much more different than GCC. Surely khtml needs a lot of libraries
so you can't compile it by himself, but if you compile all of KDE on ANY of
the those uncompatible mentioned unixes you will get the khtml compiled and
running on it!
Being the core part of development, GCC seems to be different.  could not find
anything on the apple's  site about the Mac's GCC; what I saw was just the
release note of it.
Anyway if Mac's CC using something special to Mac OS kernel I can say that
they messed it up - remember that you can compile the original GCC on Mac -
if not it can compile on linux.
Anyway I am not going to try compiling this on linux; but would be glad if you
can give me the url of source.

This way you will talk about  GNU/Mac in the future!