Re: [linuxiran] Apple GCC [was: My growing interest in Apple]

From: Aryan Ameri
Subject: Re: [linuxiran] Apple GCC [was: My growing interest in Apple]
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2003 22:44:55 +0300

On Tuesday 22 April 2003 06:57, Arash Bijanzadeh wrote:

> Khtml is much more different than GCC. Surely khtml needs a lot of
> libraries so you can't compile it by himself, but if you compile all
> of KDE on ANY of the those uncompatible mentioned unixes you will get
> the khtml compiled and running on it!

Ofcourse you are right, but the problem is, you can't compile KDE on
some Unixes. Examples include Unixware and Irix. For example on Irix in
order to be able to compile KDE, you have to buy a piece of library
from Irix's developer, SGI. The price of this library (single license)
is $65,000 while the library is only 13 KB. We have been too involved
in the world of GNU/Linux and free software to understand these things
!!!

> Being the core part of development, GCC seems to be different.  could
> not find anything on the apple's  site about the Mac's GCC; what I
> saw was just the release note of it.
> Anyway if Mac's CC using something special to Mac OS kernel I can say
> that they messed it up - remember that you can compile the original
> GCC on Mac - if not it can compile on linux.
> Anyway I am not going to try compiling this on linux; but would be
> glad if you can give me the url of source.
>
> This way you will talk about  GNU/Mac in the future!

it is in fact GNU/Mac in my opinion. today I also learned that not only
gcc is distributed with Mac OS X, but that gcc is the compiler with
which all of Mac OS X has been compiled !!

You asked for the URL, here it is:

To get the latest release of Apple's GCC (released a few days ago) go to
http://www.opensource.apple.com/darwinsource/10.2.5/index.html

(look for gcc and gcc3 there).

Apple also hosts some CVS servers. You can get the latest code from
apple anonymous cvs. Take a look at Apple's CVS howto at
http://developer.apple.com/darwin/tools/cvs/howto.html

And the most important part, to see why Apple uses a customized version
of gcc, and to see why it hasn't been ported to Linux, take a look at
this interesting page
http://developer.apple.com/darwin/news/qa20010925.html#Compiler

Though Apple's gcc does not officially run on Linux, as some of Apple's
engineers are also official FSf maintainers, these guys sometimes port
Apple's gcc to Linux. Going trough GCC mailing list archive, one can
easily see that a couple of Apple's programmers are also official gcc
developers.