Re: [linuxiran] Slackware 9

From: Aryan Ameri
Subject: Re: [linuxiran] Slackware 9
Date: Sun, 1 Jun 2003 17:33:39 +0300

On Sunday 01 June 2003 16:19, Zoup wrote:
> On Sunday 01 June 2003 15:48, Aryan Ameri wrote:
> > Zoup,
> >
> > You mentioned a while ago that you have downloaded Slackware 9.
> >
> > How is it? Have you installed it? What are your impressions? Kepp
> > us updated on it.

> > Cheers
>
> in one word , its Great !
> yes i have installed it on my laptop/desktop , as you may now one of
> four slackware 9 cd's availabe for download .
> after downloading ISO image ( it takes two weeks ! ) i have write it
> on CD and boot it , i was asked for select a pre-compiled kernel
> (2.4.20) for specific hardware and filesystem needs , I would like to
> mention that Slackware 9.0 supports all 4 journaling file systems:
> ReiserFS, ext3, XFS and JFS . i have choose ReiserFS , I selected my
> keyboard mapping and logged in as Root without introducing any
> password , After this I simply typed "setup" and I've entered in the
> installation program.the setup process isn't change much since
> version 8 , you know the installation looks like Free-BSD , before
> slackware 9 i have redhat 9 installed on my system ( 12 GB Ext3
> partition , 8 GB /home , 512 Mb Swap ) so i only have to format this
> partitions and start package selecting , Before formatting, it gave
> me 3 choices: ext2, ext3 or ReiserFS. Only these three filesystems
> are supported by the default bare.i pre-compiled kernel. I formated
> my Linux partition as ReiserFS .
> I will not get into depth with the package installation , slackware
> is source based , including KDE 3.1 , Gnome 2.2 , kernel 2.4.20 ,
> Xfree 4.3.0 , gcc 3.2.2 , glib 2.3.1 and ...
> one official cd's take 2 GB on my hard disk ,
> After installing what I needed, the installer asked me if I have a
> modem, and I have selected my modem ttyS , note this version supports
> ttyS4< , so people with PCI modem's will not getting trouble ,After
> that it asked me about how to install Lilo . You can configure Lilo
> manually at install or let the software install it for you. I choose
> Manual Install just for checking process  . next step was network
> configuration , its cool and easy ! it asks for hostname , IP
> configuration ( static , dhcp ) and autodetect the NIC (Compex rl
> 2000)and load its kernel module .
> after that i have set console fonts , mouse type , zone configuration
> , and finally it asked me for root password and installation ends .
> after reboot , LiLo loads kernel and after login , i have entered
> startx and my graphic card ( gf4 ) was installed ! so no problem with
> Xfree but my mouse whell ,  I've added the following line in the
> Mouse Input Device area in /etc/X11/XF86Config : Option
> "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
> Then i login with root Start KDE , every thing worked fine , even my
> sound ( i have sb live and always it take kernel recompile ! ) except
> for 3D hardware acceleration .
> Slackware supports all hardware that the Linux kernel does, and
> [...]

Very well Zoup. Interesting review of Slackware. Fact is after the
availability of Debian and Gentoo, Slackware has lost many of it's
users, but it is still a very rock solid distrobution. It is nice to
see slackware competeing with others, specially noting that slack was
the first Linux distro, which became known worldwide (long before
RedHat). People still say that it is the most Unix-like Linux distro.

zoup, I find your review of slack very interesting. You nearly covered
all major aspects of the distro, except package managment. I know that
slack does not use RPM or DEB, but deals with tar.gz files with special
tools called pkgtools. (or something like that). Could you please also
add a few point to your review about software installation and package
managment in slack, and then post your review to linuxiran.org! ?
I think it is well worth publishing in the website.

Cheers

--
/* There is SCO owned IP all over the Linux kernel. SCO will hunt them.
Free software infidels are liars. We will kill them all, and roast their

Aryan Ameri