Re: [linuxiran] Slackware 9

From: Zoup
Subject: Re: [linuxiran] Slackware 9
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2003 00:16:58 +0430

> Very well Zoup. Interesting review of Slackware. Fact is after the
> availability of Debian and Gentoo, Slackware has lost many of it's
> users, but it is still a very rock solid distrobution. It is nice to
> see slackware competeing with others, specially noting that slack was
> the first Linux distro, which became known worldwide (long before
> RedHat). People still say that it is the most Unix-like Linux distro.
>
> zoup, I find your review of slack very interesting. You nearly covered
> all major aspects of the distro, except package managment. I know that
> slack does not use RPM or DEB, but deals with tar.gz files with special
> tools called pkgtools. (or something like that). Could you please also
> add a few point to your review about software installation and package
> managment in slack, and then post your review to linuxiran.org! ?
> I think it is well worth publishing in the website.
>
> Cheers

its OK , i will work on it , but yes ! slackware are using some sort of
different package management ,  it use tgz files with some extra utility's
like removepkg , upgradepkg , installpkg and a complex tool named
pkgtool , the goal is that to user can list those packages are installed
on the system ( like rpm or deb ) and can uninstall (also easy to install
)them anytime ( package list is in /var/log/packages) this tgz files ( called
slack packages ) works like rpm running with script and compiled with it ,
but no check for depency and really better than that , rpm always had some
troubles :)for some servers like Cups its better to use slack packages
because of Run level system , slackware uses different run level system in
plain text ,slackware are compatible with rpm and deb , i have installed rpm
on my slack but don't use it much , also support rpm2tgz command that  i
have never tested , yes Slackware is rock solid and damn stable and
is the oldest surviving Linux distribution out there. i guess SLS was before
Slackware, isn't ?

--
Wish You Were Here ...