Re: [linuxiran] : redhat manuals translation,

From: Abbas Izad
Subject: Re: [linuxiran] : redhat manuals translation,
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2003 09:31:20 +0000

Aryan, Your argument somehow make sense here
The reason I asked about it, is that I search for those manuals and got only one hit. So I downloaded them. I guess these manuals are on redhat site but you have to register and activate your product to be able to download them, I am not sure!
I like step by step guides through installation and setup in those manuals.
And yes these manuals changes with every release but not completely!
This means somebody has to maintain the manuals and updating them with each
release. Here we see again the need of sponsoring and paople dedications.

I guess Kaveh means that you have to granted permission from O'raily (or the author) in order to go ahead and translate those books and maybe they want some royalities (percentage) fees of every
sold book. Not the cost of buying the book! Am I right, Kaveh?

I also read redhat's license agreement for the manuals and it says somethings like "you are not
allowed to change or distribute them commercially and blah blah ..."

/Abbas

> The redhat manuals are probably under  Open
> Publication License and we can translate them freely,
>
> Aryan and Redhat Lover ;),

Kaveh, this has nothing to do with me and RedHat. If Abbas had suggested
to translate SuSE or Mandrake or Debian manuals, I would have reacted
the same. There is no use in translating something, that will be out of
date and useless, in a couple of months time. Not to mention that
RedHat manuals are only deal with one specific distro; what is the use
of translating something that specific, when what is really needed in
the market is general underestanding of Linux. People in Iran, are
hungrily looking for a good Linux book. If you want to give them
something good, then O'Reilly is the way to go.

Those familiar with English publication, know that O'Reilly books serve
as a bible when it comes to Unix, Linux, and GNU tools. Tim O'Reilly
founder and CEO or O'Reilly and Associates, is a Open Source advocate
himself. He is one of the founders of Open Source initiative, along
with Eric Raymond and Bruce Perens.

Those two books that I mentioned are not free. You have to buy them, for
something like $30. However I don't underestand what you mena by free
to translate, because O'Reilly asks for nothing if you decide to
translate their book. So, yes you shall buy it for $30. If you are
willing to spend weeks of your time, translating something, but do not
want to spend $30 in the process, then I am afraid I don't underestand
you at all.

Wanna translate RedHat 9 manuals? go ahead. However when in September,
the next version of RedHat comes out, and no one will ever take a look
at your hard work, then I can imagine your face.

If I want to translate something, I would go with something that at
leats lasts a couple of years, and covers everything in general.  I
would love to be proved wrong.

Cheers

--
/* You can always count on Americans to do the
right thing; - after they've tried everything else.