[linuxiran] GIF Patent Expired

From: Aryan Ameri
Subject: [linuxiran] GIF Patent Expired
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2003 12:20:55 +0300

The Patent covering the LZW compression algorythm which was used in GIF
file formats, was expired on June 20. The patent has now expired and is
in the public domain.

The patent holder was Unisys.

Thus, GIF no more should be avoided. they are now as free to use as PNG.
Now we should somehow manage to put aside our hatred towards GIFs.

Cheers
--
/* You can always count on Americans to do the
right thing; - after they've tried everything else.