Re: [linuxiran] GIF Patent Expired

From: Hooman Baradaran
Subject: Re: [linuxiran] GIF Patent Expired
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2003 12:33:58 -0400

> The Patent covering the LZW compression algorythm which was used in GIF
> file formats, was expired on June 20. The patent has now expired and is
> in the public domain.
>
> The patent holder was Unisys.
>
> Thus, GIF no more should be avoided. they are now as free to use as PNG.
> Now we should somehow manage to put aside our hatred towards GIFs.
>
> Cheers

I read about this in Slash Dot. But the thing is I tried PNG after I had used
GIF for a long time (I was a webmaster before I even try Linux) and I find
PNG to have a better quality than GIF.
In slash dot I read "does this mean we should stop using PNG" - or something
like than. and I don't want that :(

Hooman Baradaran
address@hidden
www.hoomanb.com