Re: [linuxiran] GIF Patent Expired

From: Aryan Ameri
Subject: Re: [linuxiran] GIF Patent Expired
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2003 22:02:08 +0300

On Sunday 22 June 2003 20:06, Hooman Baradaran wrote:
> > I think we do not need to switch, but the great thing should be
> > that FLOSS
>
> can
>
> > now easily write software that works with GIF, right?
>
> True, I like GIF for certain things specially web design. Maybe I
> should have posted this on Slash Dot because I only didn't like the
> "switch" part that they mentioned! :-)
> They were looking at PNG as a GIF replacement (that's where the whole
> thing got started, isn't it?) but for me it was (and is) a cool new
> format!

No one will stop supporting or using PNG. PNG will always be there, and
as you mentioned it has certain advantages over GIF, like Alpha
Transparency, or better quality. GIF has got moving animation, which
PNG doesn't offer, but it's sister format, MNG even offers better
animation that GIF.

So, even now that GIF is patent free, PNG will continue to exist, and
many people will continue to use it. For your information, W3C is now
working on PNG 2.0

But the good news is, there is no need to hate GIF now. And as Arash
mentioned, free software projects can now freely use it.

and BTW, you are the first person which I have seen call it "Slash Dot"
AFAIK everyone just writes "slashdot" or simply "/." :-)

I measured that last week, I spent 18 hours only on slashdot !!
I am getting addicted !! Someone should help me with this.

Cheers
--
/* You can always count on Americans to do the
right thing; - after they've tried everything else.