bontz-team

[Bontz-team] trees, animation

From: Owen Swerkstrom
Subject: [Bontz-team] trees, animation
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2003 13:33:21 -0700 (PDT)

There are some trees hanging out in the props folder
in cvs now.  There are a number of things they will
present for the main game, we'll need to define where
the player can and can't walk around them, and what
goes above the player and what goes below.  But we
needn't worry about any of that now, just use 'em for
scenery if you like.

A little history:
Once I got these trees made and rendered, their leaves
were like exactly the same colors as the grass.  So I
had to tweak the hue and contrast a bit to make them
stand out.  I then thought they needed shadows, and
once those were in and looking all nice and shadowey,
I decided to add shadows to the sign prop as well.
Odds are good the next generation of sprites will have
shadows too, since I'll be redoing animation anyway.

As for the trees themselves, they could easily be
bigger.  They seem a little small relative to mucka.
(what is it about mucka anyway?  why do we always pick
him to toss into scenes to test things out?  must just
be the allure of a half-evolved fish/frog with a
joint)  On the other hand, there's a fish 2/3 the size
of a human, and I would imagine plenty of other
strange scale issues will come up, and when I keep
seeing a Chrono Trigger style game playing in my head,
the character-to-tree size ratio seems very similar.
*shrugs*

speaking of animation, once again snoop in the
media/work/character-animation.txt file and see if you
can think of anything we're missing.  For the sake of
your shooter minigame, should Mucka be the first
character I re-animate?  And I know you also wanted a
special "invincible" or "flashing colors" animation at
some point... Would SDL allow us to do some
color-cycling type stuff (probably hue shift, since
it's RGB and not indexed) or do we want an actual
extra animation for that?  It would be neat if it were
a more generalized (in-engine) thing, since we might
want to use the effect elsewhere in the game too
(mucka "casts a spell" to summon a hallucination in
battle, etc)