bontz-team

Re: [Bontz-team] development plan, tile system

From: Chuck
Subject: Re: [Bontz-team] development plan, tile system
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 09:44:56 -0500

i would prefer all tiles to be the same size, so if you could shrink the
water into tiles the same size as everything else it would be appreciated!

you say "we can rework them later if needed"...well, i think i WILL have to
rework the way i animat sprites, certain parts of it are just too
restrictive, such as the current limitation of only one animation per
directory.  though the animations still can have multiple tracks, so there
are possible ways to work around that, but i think it would be better all
around if we could have multiple animations per directory.  and i should
probably allow naming of tracks instead of just using track numbers.  if we
can name tracks, then we don't have to worry that the tracks appear in a
specific order within the animation.  for instance we could name a track
"walk-e" and then we wouldn't have to care what track number it is.
currently "Walking East" i believe has to be the first track.

also something that has yet to be fixed/done, we seriously need some sort of
memory manager,  currently in an animation if a frame is used more than once
it needs to be loaded into memory each time it is used.  i would prefer if
we could load it only once.  for instance maybe rework the animation files.
at the top of the animation files list each file and a numerical probably
auto incrementing starting at 0 id for that file.  then instead of listing
the filenames in the animations, we could list just this ID number, and if
it were 0 based we could pull it directly from an array.  this way we only
load a particular frame only 1 time no matter how many times it is used in
the animation.  i just thought of this, so i hope it will work, i will have
to try it out.  we should keep this in mind for the map system as well, try
conserve memory by sharing resources that are used multiple times.

i also need to simplify the animation file as it still contains remnants the
transparency color key which we used before i figured out how to do alpha
transparency.  .

i think it is going to be a while before we get the tile system going as all
the base classes appear that they need/should be reworked.  i know you have
wanted a tile system for a long time,  i am sorry, but you will probably
need to wait a bit longer.

and...man you write long emails!