Re: [Chicken-hackers] multiple issues in embedded PCRE

From: felix winkelmann
Subject: Re: [Chicken-hackers] multiple issues in embedded PCRE
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2007 07:46:38 +0100

On Nov 25, 2007 11:49 AM, Peter Bex <address@hidden> wrote:

> This only becomes a problem after a lot of releases.  Of course, nobody
> said we have to keep ALL old releases.  We could decide to remove releases
> older than, say, a year.

Yep.

> > 2. make chicken-setup act as an svn client to access the eggs
> >    repository directly.  Don't know how difficult it would be.
>
> You'd need to make the svn-client egg part of base chicken.  I'm not sure
> that would be desirable.

No, not at all.

But the whole thing is a bit more complicated:

1. for each major release, create a branch in the egg repo (we keep the
  old toplevel dirs for backward compatibility).
2. create a directory for each major release in call/cc.org/eggs.
3. modify egg-post-commit to figure out the proper location of the egg on
  call/cc.org and upload the egg/modify the repofile there.
4. modify chicken-setup to download from the right directory from call/cc.org.

It's nothing particularly hard, but there will be a period of "transition", and
we all know how that goes...

What interests me more, is how to maintain eggs in such a situation?
If the currently "active" egg branch is maintained, everything is ok. But
people *will* backport fixes, simply to get things running on, say, debian
boxes with old chicken versions installed. I wouldn't even want to be
restricted to change the current (or newer) versions. And also the situation
will arrive then fixes get forgotten to be merged into newer versions.
We probably need some sort of process for keeping the confusion at a
minimum.