Re: ***SPAM*** Re: [Chicken-hackers] multiple issues in embedded PCRE

From: Mario Domenech Goulart
Subject: Re: ***SPAM*** Re: [Chicken-hackers] multiple issues in embedded PCRE
Date: 22 Nov 2007 21:27:56 -0200

Hi John and folks,

On Thu, 22 Nov 2007 17:04:41 -0500 John Cowan <address@hidden> wrote:

> Mario Domenech Goulart scripsit:
>
> > Stable releases => http://chicken.wiki.br/releases
>
> These may be stable in the sense that the bits in them, exept for the
> most recent instance, don't change: but they are not "stable releases"
> as generally understood.  They are not specially tested or debugged;
> about the only guarantee is that they do actually build.  They may not
> work with the current egg repository or anything else.
>
> > Development code =>
> > https://address@hidden/svn/chicken-eggs/chicken/branches/trunk
>
> Not chicken/branches/trunk but chicken/trunk.

Yes, thanks for pointing that (I made a mistake when hand-editing the
link).

> >    The code from svn trunk is used to build all the eggs once a day.
>
> This is why I say that the HEAD of trunk is the best and most useful
> available Chicken, except when it happens to be regressed, in which case
> a complaint to Felix will almost always bring a quick fix.

Actually all the releases go through the salmonella runs.  When Felix
thinks it's stable enough, we have a new release.

Eventually it may be buggy, as most (if not all) "stable" software
are, but when it's released, it's supposed to be stable, specially in
the sense that the code "won't change".  When I say chicken-<version>
I know what code I'm talking about (even if it is buggy); when I say
"chicken from svn trunk", it is a moving target -- it may contain
fixes for bugs I found out yesterday and implemented a workaround,
which may be invalid with the trunk I get today.

Anyway, maybe that's just a slightly different view of the "stable"
word.  The fact is that we have a release tarball (supposedly "bug
free"; given a version number, the code doesn't change and it doesn't
need chicken to be compiled) and the svn branches code (development
code, constantly changing and needs chicken to be bootstrapped).

Best wishes,
Mario