Re: [Chicken-hackers] multiple issues in embedded PCRE

From: Mario Domenech Goulart
Subject: Re: [Chicken-hackers] multiple issues in embedded PCRE
Date: 22 Nov 2007 01:38:31 -0200

Hi folks,

On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 21:47:09 -0500 John Cowan <address@hidden> wrote:

> Marijn Schouten (hkBst) scripsit:
>
> > I don't fully understand. You're saying the current snapshot of the
> > stable release is useless except for bootstrapping? Does this have
> > anything to do with egg versioning or lack thereof?
>
> "Stable" is not a word applicable to Chicken at present, maybe not ever.
> The best available Chicken is HEAD, most of the time; when HEAD has a
> regression, Felix fixes it almost immediately.  The egg infrastructure
> rebuilds all eggs against HEAD.
>
> However, you can't do a virgin build of HEAD, because HEAD doesn't
> contain the pre-compiled C source of the Chicken compiler, whereas the
> tarballs do.  Therefore, you need to build a tarball first, then build
> HEAD thereafter.  Only if you get too far behind HEAD will you need to
> grab another tarball.

Some more words:

Stable releases => http://chicken.wiki.br/releases

   Also called "tarballs".  The release tarballs _don't_ need chicken
   for bootstrapping.  A C compiler is enough.

   The tarballs are generated every night from
   https://address@hidden/svn/chicken-eggs/chicken/branches/release
   (the tarball-generator performs the bootstrapping using the most
   recent stable release available).

Development code =>
https://address@hidden/svn/chicken-eggs/chicken/branches/trunk
(and other branches except "release")

   The code from svn trunk is used to build all the eggs once a day.
   The results are available at
   http://chicken.wiki.br/automated-builds.

See more details about these processes at
http://chicken.wiki.br/periodic-tasks.

Best wishes,
Mario