Re: [Chicken-hackers] multiple issues in embedded PCRE

From: Marijn Schouten (hkBst)
Subject: Re: [Chicken-hackers] multiple issues in embedded PCRE
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2007 18:53:44 +0100

Mario Domenech Goulart wrote:
> The nightly snapshots are generated from the release branch, which is
> the most recent and stable chicken.

Thanks for clarifying this.

> Sorry if it all sounds confusing (or redundant, in case you know it
> already), but we had some changes in the development process recently,
> which are not very well documented.

>> The 2.731 snapshot, (which I think is the latest that doesn't change
>> anymore),
>>  fails make with:
>>
>> makeinfo --no-split  chicken.texi
>> echo "# define C_INSTALL_CC \"gcc\"" >>chicken-defaults.h
>> Assembler messages:
>> Fatal error: can't create
>> apply-hack.x86-64/home/marijn/cvs/gentoo-x86/dev-scheme/chicken: No such file
>> or directory
>>
>> This goes away if I don't build paralelly, but a similar error occurs a bit
>> further down:
>>
>> echo "#define C_HACKED_APPLY" >>chicken-config.h
>> cat chicken-defaults.h >>chicken-config.h
>> gcc -fno-strict-aliasing -DHAVE_CHICKEN_CONFIG_H -DC_ENABLE_PTABLES -I. \
>>           -c -O2 -pipe -ggdb \
>>           -DC_BUILDING_LIBCHICKEN library.c -o
>> library-static/home/marijn/cvs/gentoo-x86/dev-scheme/chicken
>> Assembler messages:
>> Fatal error: can't create
>> library-static/home/marijn/cvs/gentoo-x86/dev-scheme/chicken: No such file or
>> directory
>> library.c:36849: fatal error: error writing to -: Broken pipe
>> compilation terminated.
>> The bug is not reproducible, so it is likely a hardware or OS problem.
>>
>> And its snarky comment is a lie. This is very reproducible. Apparently it has
>> some issues with directories. Using
>> http://chicken.wiki.br/dev-snapshots/2007/11/21/chicken-2.732.tar.gz
>> does nothing to improve the situation.
>
> That's strange.  chicken-2.732 has been being built on a x86 Linux
> machine every night to generate the daily release.
>
> Can you provide more info about your environment and the commands you
> are using to start the build process?

I'm working in directory

/home/marijn/cvs/gentoo-x86/dev-scheme/chicken

My build script unpacks the source to

/var/tmp/portage/dev-scheme/chicken-2.731/work/chicken-2.731/

and runs

make PLATFORM=linux PREFIX=/usr C_COMPILER_OPTIMIZATION_OPTIONS="$CFLAGS"

after which it quickly fails with the above error.

Marijn

- --
Marijn Schouten (hkBst), Gentoo Lisp project, Gentoo ML
<http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/lisp/>, #gentoo-{lisp,ml} on FreeNode