Re: [Chicken-hackers] multiple issues in embedded PCRE

From: Mario Domenech Goulart
Subject: Re: [Chicken-hackers] multiple issues in embedded PCRE
Date: 21 Nov 2007 15:26:00 -0200

Hi Marijn,

On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 17:44:48 +0100 "Marijn Schouten (hkBst)" <address@hidden>
wrote:

> Kon Lovett wrote:
> >> chicken ships its own copy of libpcre which has multiple vulnerabilities
> >> <http://secunia.com/advisories/27543/>.
> >
> > Chicken ships w/ PCRE 7.4
>
> No it doesn't. There are some nightly snapshots which contain this
> version, but no release.

The current release process is based on the nightly snapshots.

The releases can be obtained from http://chicken.wiki.br/releases.
The links actually point to the nightly snapshots dir structure.

Some considerations about the nightly snapshots and the current
development process:

- the stable releases are obtained from svn chicken/branches/release,
  which is only updated when there is a new stable release (kind of
  obvious).

- the development of chicken goes on other svn branches.

The nightly snapshots are generated from the release branch, which is
the most recent and stable chicken.

Sorry if it all sounds confusing (or redundant, in case you know it
already), but we had some changes in the development process recently,
which are not very well documented.

> The 2.731 snapshot, (which I think is the latest that doesn't change anymore),
>  fails make with:
>
> makeinfo --no-split  chicken.texi
> echo "# define C_INSTALL_CC \"gcc\"" >>chicken-defaults.h
> Assembler messages:
> Fatal error: can't create
> apply-hack.x86-64/home/marijn/cvs/gentoo-x86/dev-scheme/chicken: No such file
> or directory
>
> This goes away if I don't build paralelly, but a similar error occurs a bit
> further down:
>
> echo "#define C_HACKED_APPLY" >>chicken-config.h
> cat chicken-defaults.h >>chicken-config.h
> gcc -fno-strict-aliasing -DHAVE_CHICKEN_CONFIG_H -DC_ENABLE_PTABLES -I. \
>           -c -O2 -pipe -ggdb \
>           -DC_BUILDING_LIBCHICKEN library.c -o
> library-static/home/marijn/cvs/gentoo-x86/dev-scheme/chicken
> Assembler messages:
> Fatal error: can't create
> library-static/home/marijn/cvs/gentoo-x86/dev-scheme/chicken: No such file or
> directory
> library.c:36849: fatal error: error writing to -: Broken pipe
> compilation terminated.
> The bug is not reproducible, so it is likely a hardware or OS problem.
>
> And its snarky comment is a lie. This is very reproducible. Apparently it has
> some issues with directories. Using
> http://chicken.wiki.br/dev-snapshots/2007/11/21/chicken-2.732.tar.gz
> does nothing to improve the situation.

That's strange.  chicken-2.732 has been being built on a x86 Linux
machine every night to generate the daily release.

Can you provide more info about your environment and the commands you
are using to start the build process?

Best wishes,
Mario