Re: [Chicken-hackers] Re: separate build directory support for Chicken

From: felix winkelmann
Subject: Re: [Chicken-hackers] Re: separate build directory support for Chicken
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2008 00:19:31 +0100

On Jan 12, 2008 10:08 PM, Ivan Shmakov <address@hidden> wrote:

>  > Just a thought but, won't adding lots of features to the plain
>  > makefiles build system make it so complex as to become unmanageable?
>
>         Actually, I'm planning a build system rewrite which, by
>         utilising some of the GNU Make features, will make the build
>         system /much more/ manageable.  I've already reduced rules.make
>         down to 38 KiB (i. e., by 40%) and it doesn't look that I'm
>         going to stop just yet.

Reducing size isn't everything. I'd rather have simple makefiles than
complex ones, even if their bigger.

> PS.  Would there be a plenty of Make and Autotools experts among the
>         Chicken developers, I'd be happy to suggest a transition to
>         Autotools.  Apparently, it's not the case, so I'm trying to do
>         my best with the plain GNU Make-based build system.

Never. Autotools will not be supported. We had that already and using
autotools is a sure way of making builds unmanagable (IMHO).

I appreciate your suggestions, but the make-based build was done exactly
for the reason to simplify it, to remove hacks, and to make it less dependent
on shell magic. It's dumb, sure, but that's fine with me.