[Chicken-hackers] ep

From: Mario Domenech Goulart
Subject: [Chicken-hackers] ep
Date: Tue, 09 Jul 2013 17:28:03 +0000

Hi,

ep, the procedure to expand ~ in pathnames, is to be added to the core
in 4.9.

Felix attached a patch to #1001 (see
http://bugs.call-cc.org/ticket/1001) with an implementation proposal.

(There's a small technical issue with that patch related to
current-effective-user-id being unbound when the posix unit is loaded,
but that's not the main point of this message.)

My concern is with regard to environments where the user home directory
cannot be determined (e.g., no HOME environment variable, no home
directory set in /etc/passwd etc.).

For example, on non-windows systems, we get the following behavior if
the user home directory cannot be determined:

    (ep "~/foo") => "/foo"

What to do in cases like that?

Best wishes.
Mario