Re: [Chicken-hackers] ep

From: .alyn.post.
Subject: Re: [Chicken-hackers] ep
Date: Tue, 9 Jul 2013 12:21:23 -0600

On Tue, Jul 09, 2013 at 05:28:03PM +0000, Mario domenech Goulart wrote:
> Hi,
>
> ep, the procedure to expand ~ in pathnames, is to be added to the core
> in 4.9.
>
> Felix attached a patch to #1001 (see
> http://bugs.call-cc.org/ticket/1001) with an implementation proposal.
>
> (There's a small technical issue with that patch related to
> current-effective-user-id being unbound when the posix unit is loaded,
> but that's not the main point of this message.)
>
> My concern is with regard to environments where the user home directory
> cannot be determined (e.g., no HOME environment variable, no home
> directory set in /etc/passwd etc.).
>
> For example, on non-windows systems, we get the following behavior if
> the user home directory cannot be determined:
>
>     (ep "~/foo") => "/foo"
>
> What to do in cases like that?

The root directory is a reasonable assumption for a home directory
if there is no HOME.  A related question is what to do when HOME is
/nonexistent, for which the root directory is also a plausible answer.
The other option seems to be to raise a runtime exception.

-Alan
--
my personal website: http://c0redump.org/