Re: [Chicken-hackers] [Patch] Fix #1106

From: Peter Bex
Subject: Re: [Chicken-hackers] [Patch] Fix #1106
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2014 13:19:20 +0100

On Wed, Mar 12, 2014 at 03:47:13PM +0100, Christian Kellermann wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> thanks to Andy I have become aware of an issue with chicken-install
> -deploy which should be fixed in this patch. For details see below.
> Please note that I have not tested this against a cross chicken
> scenario but I don't see why this should break.

Thank you.  I checked and there's still a small problem with this
patch: it will always install the entire dependency chain from
scratch, even if some eggs have already been installed.   So for
example, suppose you're building a self-contained web application
(bad example, but bear with me), and you've already installed spiffy.
Then, later, you decide you want to use spiffy-directory-listing, so
you install it.  This will cause it to first reinstall all of these eggs:
- defstruct
- uri-generic
- uri-common
- base64
- intarweb
- sendfile
- spiffy
and only *then* will it install:
- html-tags
- html-utils (which fails unless you have also installed html-tags globally)
- spiffy-directory-listing (which fails unless you have also installed
   html-utils globally)

Because I think the patch considerably improves the current situation,
I have already pushed it, but this needs some more work before we really
declare #1106 "fixed".

I also wonder why the installation of the html-utils and
spiffy-directory-listing eggs doesn't work unless html-tags and html-utils
are available globally as well.  AFAICT these don't provide macros which
are required at compile-time, so it's a bit mysterious to me.

http://www.more-magic.net