Re: [Chicken-hackers] Should we make a 4.12 release?

From: Christian Kellermann
Subject: Re: [Chicken-hackers] Should we make a 4.12 release?
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2017 08:24:24 +0100

* address@hidden <address@hidden> [170103 23:50]:

> I think it would. To truly test in a clean environment I would suggest to
> use a fresh chicken installation for case 1 as well. Note that this can
> be done by pure copying/hardlinking of files, assuming the user didn't
> modify installed files. But I didn't know of case 1 and am not sure what
> advantages it provides.

Case 1 does detect undeclared dependencies before authors check in
their eggs. This has helped me in the past as I am known for missing
those.

This could be done with a fresh chicken install of course provided
that the egg author does have a source checkout available. I don't
know if all our users do that.

One could simulate this with linking into a fresh dir but in the case
of a binary installation we would check how package maintainers
package it to find all necessary files. Maybe this could be solved with all
the "introspection" we currently have.

Kind regards,

Christian

--
May you be peaceful, may you live in safety, may you be free from
suffering, and may you live with ease.