Re: [Chicken-hackers] Merge chicken-5 into master? Also: git help needed

From: Peter Bex
Subject: Re: [Chicken-hackers] Merge chicken-5 into master? Also: git help needed
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2017 10:33:22 +0100

On Wed, Dec 06, 2017 at 10:19:35AM +0100, Christian Kellermann wrote:
> Why would you want to keep the old prerelease branches? or the old
> release branches?  Why not rename them too?

We probably need to do that anyway if we want to be making chicken-4
bugfix releases.

However, what do you think of the approach of merge/checkout/commit
I described in my mail?  It can be done regardless, and would mean
nobody needs to do anything special in their checkout (afaict).
So you can just "git pull" and everything works.  No need for
repository surgery on the server, either, and any mirrors will
be able to just pull too.

I'm probably overlooking some crucial detail that makes this
unworkable....