Re: [Chicken-hackers] |PATCH| Enable component dependencies

From: felix . winkelmann
Subject: Re: [Chicken-hackers] |PATCH| Enable component dependencies
Date: Mon, 21 May 2018 16:21:43 +0200

> On Sat, May 19, 2018 at 05:02:55PM +0200, Peter Bex wrote:
> > Thanks, pushed!  As discussed on IRC, if a dependency is listed as a
> > symbol, I get an "unknwown component dependency" error.  This seems
> > deliberate, in filter-deps the check assumes that if dependency is a
> > symbol it needs to be provided elsewhere.
>
> I noticed a problem with this patch: when building parley for example,
> it creates a .build.sh file in the cache which calls chicken-do with
> "/path/to/.chicken-install/cache/parley/parley" in it.  This is a
> nonexistent file.
>
> The attached patch attempts to fix this by adding .so or .static.o to
> the dependency's filename depending on which version of the target we're
> building.  I don't know how to do this with non-"extension" targets
> though.

There is a difference between source-dependencies and component-dependencies.
Source-dependencies are source files, not listed as components, and they
will appear in the dep-list in the final chicken-do invocation.

Component dependencies do not play into this - they are just used to order the
components as they are built and are not listed in the chicken-do invocation.

The bug is caused by the incorrect mixing up of these two types of dependencies,
which should be fixed by applying my other patch regarding these.