Re: [Chicken-hackers] ⍄PATCH⍃ Unboxing optimization for flonums

From: Peter Bex
Subject: Re: [Chicken-hackers] ⍄PATCH⍃ Unboxing optimization for flonums
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2018 13:21:29 +0100

On Thu, Nov 22, 2018 at 11:46:44AM +0100, address@hidden wrote:
> This patch adds an additional optimization pass to the "lfa2"
> compiler stage, which attempts to remove unnecessary
> boxing and unboxing of floating point numbers. Specifically,
> calls to floating point inline operations that have a variant that
> accepts unboxed arguments are replaced with a faster version,
> omitting the unboxing of arguments, and possibly also the
> boxing of results.

Hi Felix,

I had a look and it looks quite simple but effective.  I have made a few
small modifications to your patch:

- "utype" was no longer used in c-backend.scm after removing the old
   unboxing code, so I've removed that procedure as well.
- The patch introduced several lines with trailing whitespace, I've
   cleaned it up a bit so git doesn't complain as much when applying.
- I noticed you introduced a second entry for fix_to_flo, in the
   constructor map, so I've removed that.  There were also some
   additional entries with the (invalid) "flonum" type that you
   missed, so I've updated those too.
- In lfa2, sub-boxed was always called just before calling extinguish!
   to decrement variable nodes in floatvars, but this seems not entirely
   justified; extinguish! will do some checks to see if it is droppable
   at all, and only drop it in that case.  Additionally, it will traverse
   the sub-node tree first to see if it can drop any of those.

   Therefore I think it is better to move the sub-boxed calls into
   drop!, to ensure the counts will match up with the actual number of
   nodes that remain; if there are multiple references to the variable
   in the sub-nodes and the entire node is dropped, you want to decrement
   the counters by the total number of (sub)nodes referring to the
   variable that were dropped, not just once for the main node.

   I kept the one remaining call to sub-boxed in the case where we look
   up the call in +ffi-type-check-map+ to "raise" the subexpression, but
   I'm not 100% sure it is correct; if we raise the subexpression, the
   sub-expressions remain the same, no?  So, for example, when we make
   this replacement:

     (##core#inline "C_i_foreign_flonum_argumentp" foo) => foo

   AFAIK that does not remove any references to variables in the foo
   sub-expression, so if I understand it correctly, it should not be
   decremented from the list of floatvars.  I've kept it because I'm
   not certain enough about this to remove it, but if you agree, please
   remove that call after applying this modified patch.

- Finally: there are still quite some remnants of the old boxing/unboxing
   code around to mark variables as 'boxed, and there's still ##core#box
   and ##core#unbox in the intermediate language.

   Is that still relevant, or can we delete that too?  As far as I can
   tell, that code is still active and used; could you tell me more about
   how it works and how it relates (or not) to the lfa2 boxing and
   unboxing step, especially why the patch introduces a new box_float
   operation rather than re-using the old intermediate language box/unbox
   operations?

See attachment for the updated patch.