Re: [circle] p2p auctions

From: Jiri Baum
Subject: Re: [circle] p2p auctions
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 23:10:39 +1000

thomasV:
> If you have a way to counter that, I am buying it.

Theoretically, this can be done by starting the web of trust from yourself.
Any chain from yourself to a fake identity must then pass through at least
one individual whose identity you can verify but who cannot provide you with
the identity of the next link in the chain.

Follow the chain, asking each person "please give me the legal name and
address of <next link in chain>", until you reach the dead end. That's the
person whose fault it was that you trusted a fake ID.

In practice, webs of trust like this don't work so well, as shown by the
experience with PGP / GPG. They could probably be made more reliable by the
addition of actual liability for the links, but it would be difficult to
design it in a way that wouldn't lead to infinite liability, and therefore no
links at all.

Jiri
--
Jiri Baum <address@hidden>           http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jirib