Re: Classpath <-> gcj integration

From: Bryce McKinlay
Subject: Re: Classpath <-> gcj integration
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2001 15:25:01 +1300

Artur Biesiadowski wrote:

> Which way exactly this integration goes ? Are there any plans to have a
> single cvs for both projects, or is it just mutually scavenging both
> implementations for best classes ?

Ultimatly, I think we'd like to be able to import classpath as a directory
inside libgcj, and have libgcj as a VM target of classpath. Realistically,
thats a long way off however. The CNI vs JNI thing for native methods is
the major issue here. I've found that the closer you get to native code,
the more difficult the merge becomes - I don't have the time or motivation
to write JNI versions of libgcj CNI functions.

> Do changes to classpath have to be
>   consulted with gcj team (for classes which were accepted by them in
>   previous form) ?

Not really, but ideally we'd like you cc any changes to
address@hidden It kind of sucks when a previously merged
class gets out of sync.

> What is reference JVM used to test Classpath ? Japhar ? I mean what
> sanity check I should perform after changing some core classes like
> Thread, Class, ClassLoader, String etc.

I believe Japhar is currently the only VM that classpath works with
out-of-the-box.

regards

  [ bryce ]