Re: Classpath <-> gcj integration

From: Artur Biesiadowski
Subject: Re: Classpath <-> gcj integration
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2001 23:44:51 +0100

Bryce McKinlay wrote:

> It would be desirable for the set of classes which are "VM dependent" in
> classpath to be changable on a per-VM basis rather than being an all or
> nothing thing. So when doing a gcj build of classpath, the fast
> CNI String implementation would be used, but there'd still be a default,
> pure-java implementation in the base java/lang directory.

There could be a hook for that inside classpath, but generally I think
it should be solved in VM build process - so every VM would know which
classes it should replace during build in Classpath, not Classpath know
about all possible VMs, having all implementations in some subdirs.

Maybe something like environment variable with pointer to VM specific
directory, passed to classpath makefile (or ./configure parameter). VM
would build all it's specific class files and put it into some dir
anywhere. Classpath build would be then called and classpath would pack
all needed files, with files from dir passed from VM taking precedence.
I think it should scale quite well - after all there is only one
Classpath project and quite a few VM using it. Yet another VM would not
require any changes to Classpath.

Artur