Re: Classpath <-> gcj integration

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: Classpath <-> gcj integration
Date: 03 Jan 2001 01:25:36 -0700

>>>>> "Artur" == Artur Biesiadowski <address@hidden> writes:

Artur> Do changes to classpath have to be consulted with gcj team (for
Artur> classes which were accepted by them in previous form) ?

It depends.

Some classes probably can't be merged.  For instance, we aren't going
to give up our String class, which is very dependent on libgcj (but
also very efficient).  Sometimes other changes touch on this sort of
thing.

Artur> Are there any plans to have a single cvs for both projects, or
Artur> is it just mutually scavenging both implementations for best
Artur> classes ?

In general we don't just copy one class over the top of another.  I
always read both classes and take the best from each.  Sometimes this
means merging on a method-by-method basis.  Other times it just means
copying one over the other.  I've also on occasion copied all the
javadoc comments from Classpath into the libgcj implementation and
used the result as the merged class.

Doing this well means reading a lot of docs while you do the merge, to
try to see which implementation seems more correct.

Tom