Re: Re: Want to help in integrating swing.

From: Dalibor Topic
Subject: Re: Re: Want to help in integrating swing.
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2003 06:00:11 -0800 (PST)

--- Clemens Eisserer <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi there!
>
> I hope this will be the last question for a long
> time, I've downloaded all SWING-Tuts I know and
> nearly every java-doc provided by sun ;-)
>
> > In theory you could write Swing on top of any AWT
> implementation.  If
> > it can run on Sun's AWT, but still compile in the
> Classpath tree, then
> > I think that would be fine for us.  (If it were
> done cleanly,
> > following the API correctly, etc.)  Someday our
> AWT would be able to
> > run it too.
>
> Sorry, my English is not the best, so I did not
> exactly understand the question.
>
> Did you mean that I should build it with
> Classpath's-AWT or with SUNs-AWT?
> What I did not understand was the part "but compiles
> in the classpath tree". Does that mean compile using
> classpath-awt or suns one?

As SWING is supposed to be pure java, you can use
either Sun's AWT to work with or Classpath's AWT.
Whatever you build, should be compilable against both,
as long as it stays pure java and only uses the
specified AWT apis.

I'd recommend using Sun's AWT, if you want to focus on
writing a SWING implementation, and using Classpath's
AWT if you want to focus in improving the state of AWT
support in Classpath first.

cheers,
dalibor topic