Re: Re: Want to help in integrating swing.

From: Aaron M. Renn
Subject: Re: Re: Want to help in integrating swing.
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2003 09:38:47 -0600

Clemens Eisserer (address@hidden) wrote:
> > In theory you could write Swing on top of any AWT implementation.  If
> > it can run on Sun's AWT, but still compile in the Classpath tree, then
> > I think that would be fine for us.  (If it were done cleanly,
> > following the API correctly, etc.)  Someday our AWT would be able to
> > run it too.
>
> Sorry, my English is not the best, so I did not exactly understand the
> question.
>
> Did you mean that I should build it with Classpath's-AWT or with SUNs-AWT?
> What I did not understand was the part "but compiles in the classpath tree".
> Does that mean compile using classpath-awt or suns one?

I think what was intended was that you write your Swing code against
Sun's AWT in the JDK.  The Classpath AWT does not work currently and probably
lacks many features needed for a proper Swing implementation.  If you are
able to write a functional drop in replacement for Swing using the JDK,
it should automatically work with Classpath once our own base AWT is complete.

--
Aaron M. Renn (address@hidden) http://www.urbanophile.com/arenn/