Re: Modules names and other details for new classpath bug product

From: Mark Wielaard
Subject: Re: Modules names and other details for new classpath bug product
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2005 22:22:17 +0100

Hi,

On Mon, 2005-02-14 at 12:24 -0800, David Daney wrote:
> Mark Wielaard wrote:
>
> > If bugs stay fixed on only one code branch we are doing something
> > seriously wrong.
> >
> >>How would a bug be marked that is fixed in libgcj and not fixed in
> >>classpath?
> >
> > That should really not happen.
>
> It will always happen until someone manually merges.

Yes. And that should normally be happing pretty quickly these days.

> When I commit changes I only do it for libgcj, I never merge to
> classpath.  So it *will* happen for any changes I commit.

Sure. But that just means the we can assume the bug as closed, since
someone will then merge that fix to one of the other tree. See the
comparison pages in my last email. Some people even get email from
scripts each night with the new diffs between the trees. If you want we
can setup a real mailinglist for that.

Most people actually have commit access to GNU Classpath and libgcj. I
am really not seeing much of a problem with some people just committing
to one tree at times. It would be better if GNU Classpath could be seen
as the upstream of libgcj, kaffe, etc. and fixes only flowing in one
direction. But this isn't the case at the moment, although it is much
better then a few years ago. Currently it is just a little annoyance at
times. Not something that needs an immediate fix. If only because it is
on one hand not that big a problem and on the other hand much harder to
fix then merging the bug databases.

> > It is a concern that we have not been able to completely merge libgcj
> > and GNU Classpath. But merging the bug reporting mechanisms of both is a
> > step in the right direction for coordinating bug fixing and keeping the
> > code in sync even more.
>
> This seems like putting the horse before the cart.

If you have a concrete proposal to help out the active mergers (mostly
Michael Koch for classpath<->libgcj and gui<->classpath, Graydon Hoare
for gui<->libgcj, Andrew Hughes for classpath<->generic and Dalibor
Topic for classpath<->kaffe) then I am sure everybody would be
interested. I personally think that getting more resources (the bug
database in this case) in the same place so we are at least getting rid
of the bug-mergers (which we don't really have!) is a step in the right
direction. Especially since the separate bug reporting is really hurting
us at the moment.

Wish I could magically make all code bases equal and the same really...

Cheers,

Mark